As more and more organizations adopt document management solutions and replace filing cabinets and microfilm with digitized images, they still face the problem of getting information to users who don’t have access to the system.
Document management solutions make it easy to share documents electronically with colleagues and clients over a network, whether that is network-attached storage (NAS) or a storage area network system (SAN), on CD or DVD, or securely over the Web. Sharing paper documents usually entails photocopying, and sharing microfilm requires conversion to paper, but with digital documents, you can view the same documents simultaneously.
A quality document management solution should:
- Create CDs with built-in viewers and search capabilities, so documents can be viewed and searched on any PC, regardless of whether document management software is installed.
- Allow you to distribute CDs royalty-free.
- Present a consistent face to customers and the public with a customizable interface that matches your Website.
- Balance access and security, assisting you in retaining strict control over which documents are available to staff and the general public.
- Work with documents on a wide variety of Internet browsers, operating systems and hardware.